There’s nothing like a great summer salsa to ward of the winter chill, and drive out the January blues. However, the grocery store tomatoes leave much to be desired. Yet, we can over look that downfall and use fresh lime juice, and pick up the grocery store avocados — they are wonderful, and cheap right now. Plus, they’re full of beneficial oils that help you feel full, and hopefully will put some moisture back into your dry skin. (Oh, yes, I love to dream.)
The secret to good winter salsa is to use lots of fresh lime juice and canned tomatoes — I know — but it’s as close as you can get to just- picked ripe perfection in the dead of winter. Trust me — you’ll love this.
- Open your avocado by slicing it in half, and spooning out the seed.
- While in the shell, dice the avocado in little cubes, and then scoop it out into your bowl.
- Squeeze with fresh lime juice and sea salt.
- Open a can of tomatoes — whole cut tomatoes. Throw on top of your avocado.
- Chop up a nice fresh red onion, and throw on top of your tomatoes.
- Add some fresh parsley or cilantro.
- (Throw in some frozen corn kernels and drained canned black beans, and you’ve got yourself a meal.)
- Drizzle with more lime juice and sea salt.