With a just a few pulses of your coffee grinder, you can preserve your fresh basil in salt, and enjoy the fresh flavor all year long. Here’s the recipe for Basil Salt:Â
- Use equal parts salt and basil. So, one cup of packed fresh basil leaves to one cup salt — or 1/4 cup basil to 1/4 cup salt.Â
- UseÂ sea salt,Â Pink Himalayan saltÂ orÂ Kosher Salt— any salt, except the kind withÂ iodine.Â
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F.Â
- Pulse the salt and basil together in your food processor into the salt takes on the green color of the basil. (Enjoy the smell!) If you are doing a small batch, you can use a coffee grinder.
- Now, you need to dry the salt out, now that it has absorbed the water from the basil.Â
- Spread the basil salt powder from your food processor onto a baking sheet. Bake for an hour.
- Let cool, and store in a glass mason jar, or an empty, clean spice bottle.
With a just a few pulses of your coffee grinder, you can turn Basil preserved in Salt,
into Basil Salt.
And by all means, please read this: