I make a really good oatmeal in the morning that makes my Ironman hubby pretty happy.
Here’s my recipe:
To serve 4:
1 1/2 cups Milk (NOT WATER)
2 cups Oats (Organic whole oats are terrific. But if you buy Quaker, make sure it’s not quick cooking.)
1/2-1 cup milk reserved
- Rinse the pan in cold water. (A tip I learned from A New Way to Cook. It makes clean-up easier.)
- Then put the pan on the stovetop, and turn it to medium.
- Add oats and toast them lightly for a few minutes.
- Pour in milk
- Stir until the milk starts to boil. This could take about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, put the lid on the pan, and let sit for at least 5 -15 more minutes. Stir once in awhile between signing homework papers and packing lunches.
- Turn off the heat. Let it sit a couple of minutes while you tell everyone to get their shoes on.
- Then, pour in reserved milk and stir. This keeps a crust from forming on the oatmeal and keeps it creamy, and it’s a secret I learned from Lora Brody’s recipe for dulce de leche, which is very simply, easy-peasy, made in the Slow Cooker.
- Add brown sugar, or raisins.
You May Also Like...
Cookbooks as Treasure Maps, and the Healing Power of Pie (Win This Cookbook!)
Everytime I crack an egg, I am trying to re-create some of the healing that ...read more
Tomatoes? Or Scary Halloween Prop
No, this is not a Halloween prop... these are real green tomatoes, in various stages of ...read more
Soda as a Source of Lactobacillus? Make Your Own Lacto-Fermented Soda
We've all heard about the importance of getting beneficial bacteria into our bodies, via yogurt ...read more
Quick & Easy Low-Gi Breakfast Muffins
I want my kids to eat barley for breakfast every morning -- but it wasn't ...read more