Apple Cider Vinegar is a powerful weapon to fight a chest cold. The body becomes more alkaline during a cold and the vinegar will help to re-balance the body’s acid level. I have also learned that along with the apple cider vinegar, if you put just a drop of hydrogen peroxide in your ear, and lie down, there are dramatic improvements.Here are a few household items that will make you feel better, and keep you off antibiotics. The symptoms usually start out mildly enough. A little sniffle, a little knot behind the ears, maybe a scratchy throat.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: The best thing you can do with this is sip it throughout the day. And adding the teaspoon to a glass of warm water is much easier to take. This is by far, my strongest weapon to get rid of the congestion in my lungs, and head, and does keep me off antibiotics. I can literally feel it breaking down the congestion in my chest, my ears, and my throat. Everything gets broken up, and then there’s nothing left for an infection to feed on. Take this especially at night when everything is draining down to your chest.
- The Rock and Rye:
This recipe appeared in the Wall Street Journal: Adapted from LeNell Smothers
1 bottle rye whiskey
3-5 tbsp rock candy
2 slices orange
2 slices lemon
pieces dried apricot
1 slice pineapple
1 tea bag full of dried horehound
Combine whiskey and sugar in a jar or decanter. All other ingredients optional. Allow all—except for horehound tea bag—to steep for a day or two or more. Leave horehound in for no more than two hours. When sugar is finally dissolved, strain and bottle. Cough a few times and clutch your chest in distress. Then serve the Rock and Rye on the rocks.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This time, put some on a cotton ball, and rub it across your chest, your neck, up to your ears, and your throat. If you have a sinus headache, rub it on your forehead. Yes, you will not smell nice, but who cares, at this point? Then, for an extra kick, I turn on my heating pad, and place it on my chest. The coughing stops, the tightness goes away on my chest, and I can sleep.
- Cool Mint & Eucalyptus Bath and Massage Oil: I put this on top of the apple cider vinegar to deepen the effects. The Eucalyptus keeps me breathing without congestion.
- The SinuCleanse Neti Pot System: I won’t lie to you — this does hurt a little, if you’re really stuffed up. But it gets better. But it’s the best way to clean out your nasal passages. The warm salt water breaks everything down, and goes right through you head, and down into your chest. Does it’s job well.
- Warm water with lemon. Drink this first thing in the morning. In fact, I do this every morning. But I didn’t on Saturday, because I ran out of lemons. Hmmm? Is there a connection between my illness showing up on Sunday?
So, bookmark this, and try this the next time you get sick.
You May Also Like...
Not So Simple Syrup As A Mixer For That Raspbery Mint Julep
There's nothing quite like the taste of a black raspberry-laced Mint Julep on a blistery, ...read more
Through a Screen
The last 18 years have dwindled down to a few days. The last 18 years, ...read more
He's been practicing for weeks. Getting his technique down perfectly. There were frustrating moments, Trying to ...read more