I’ve been relying on the slow cooker to create true comfort during these snow days. Instead of main dishes — I’ve been making desserts. The pudding cake is made right in the slow cooker — which translates into very little mess. The pudding settles on the bottom of the crock, so that when you scoop out the cake, the pudding appears and you drizzle it on top of your plate. Yum.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (homemade!)
- 3/4 cup peanut butter pieces (optional)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup creamy or chunky peanut butter
- Grease or butter you crock pot before you start — to make clean-up easier.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, the 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, and baking powder.
- Add the milk, oil, peanut butter pieces (if using) and vanilla; stir until batter is smooth. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.
- In a clean bowl, combine the 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa.
- Stir together boiling water and peanut butter; stir into cocoa mixture.
- Pour evenly over batter in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted near center of cake comes out clean.
- Uncover and let cool slightly, about 30 minutes.
- To serve, spoon warm pudding cake into dessert dishes, and serve with ice cream or whipped topping.