I should have known things were going to go wrong, when I couldn’t even print my list of 13 things to do before you leave for vacation – due to some hard drive error. So, working from memory, here’s how my way out the door went.
- I put the Blockbuster DVDs on the roof of the car, and forgot about them before I drove away. I found one in the neighbor’s yard, but somebody else is keeping Bobby for free. I didn’t even have time to watch it – but I own it now.
- I forwarded the mail to the lake house. After I arrived, I learned there is no mail delivery service at our address. So bills, my son’s camp supply list and who knows what else is somewhere in mail limbo land.
- I forwarded my home phone to my cell phone. But I forgot to unplug the answering machine. So, if I don’t rush to my cell phone, the answering machine at home picks up the messages. It’s been busy piling them up while I’ve been gone.
- Time ran short, so we had to make our library stop to return books on the way out of town. Because the car was so packed so full, it took me about twenty minutes to sort through the car to find all the library books to return. And, I ended up returning some of the new books on tape by mistake.
- Could not find the freezer key to lock it.
- The dryer was done, the washer empty, and I had just finished putting some baking soda in the toilet, when my little son, who is still a little unsteady on his feet when it comes to the potty, decided to have a nice little accident in his pants just as we were walking out the door. I do not have a back-up plan for this.
- As I was cleaning up accident above, I said “heck with the baking soda.”
- Did I water the plants?
- I hand-washed all the dishes, as I knew I wouldn’t have time to run the full dishwasher cycle before we left so that I could turn off the water. After I had everything cleaned, I realized I left a whole pile of dishes on the counter behind me. I ran the dishwasher and said “heck with turning off the water.”
- I arrived, only to find that I am spending an entire month at the lake, and I did not pack a bathing suit for myself.
- Garbage is the one thing that did go right.
- I migrated all of my blog and photo files to an external hard drive so that I could use my laptop. Triple checked everything. However, the laptop does not recognize the program files, so even though the files are there, the external hard drive are pretty useless to me.
- After about two hours down the road, my cell phone rang. It’s the library. They wanted to know why I returned books from a different library in their drop box.
Hey, but at least these guys have their bathing suits.