Men, when you’re standing at the back door with the car running, trying to get a jump on the traffic, and she’s still in the house doing “whatever” it is she is doing. This is what she’s doing. Grab a number and go help her. And ladies, here’s a checklist to help keep you sane while he’s rushing you to get on the road. If you don’t want to come home to a smelly house – you’ll need to plan ahead a little bit.
- Go through your pile of library books and return them. While you’re there, check out some new books for you (and kids) to read. Don’t forget audio books for long car rides. Don’t forget to return DVDs to Blockbuster.
- Set up your e-mail account to an “out ” message.
- Hold Mail and newspapers. Pay bills that will be due while gone.
- Arrange lights or radio to turn on periodically with a timer.
- Lock your freezer. (Upright models) and put the key on top of the freezer so someone can find it.
- Make arrangements for a neighbor or friend to have a key to your house or apartment – or at least know where one is. Give them a number where you can be reached.
- THE NEXT ONES ARE LAST MINUTE: LAST ONE OUT THE DOOR — Pour some baking soda into each of the toilets and the sink drains – no one wants to smell stagnant water.
- Water plants
- Unplug toaster, mixer, computer, TV and other appliances.
- Turn down heat (not off! Or your pipes will freeze!), and or turn up air conditioning.
- Take out all garbage
- Make sure there are no wet clothes in washer or dryer – or wet rags in the sink or bathroom. Hang to dry.
- Shut off the water — and make sure the dishwasher is not full of dirty dishes.
You May Also Like...
The Adventures of Jack and Jill: Chalk
If you started to follow those two kids around, you could have an adventure book, ...read more
Through a Screen
The last 18 years have dwindled down to a few days. The last 18 years, ...read more
Fight Powdery Mildew in Your Garden
Just when you think you're going to have a bumper crop of cucumbers and ...read more
Nourishing Soup at 10:30 on a Summer Friday Night
Remember that chicken broth that simmered in the crockpot all winter? I'm so glad to ...read more