Men, when you’re standing at the back door with the car running, trying to get a jump on the traffic, and she’s still in the house doing “whatever” it is she is doing. This is what she’s doing. Grab a number and go help her. And ladies, here’s a checklist to help keep you sane while he’s rushing you to get on the road. If you don’t want to come home to a smelly house – you’ll need to plan ahead a little bit.
- Go through your pile of library books and return them. While you’re there, check out some new books for you (and kids) to read. Don’t forget audio books for long car rides. Don’t forget to return DVDs to Blockbuster.
- Set up your e-mail account to an “out ” message.
- Hold Mail and newspapers. Pay bills that will be due while gone.
- Arrange lights or radio to turn on periodically with a timer.
- Lock your freezer. (Upright models) and put the key on top of the freezer so someone can find it.
- Make arrangements for a neighbor or friend to have a key to your house or apartment – or at least know where one is. Give them a number where you can be reached.
- THE NEXT ONES ARE LAST MINUTE: LAST ONE OUT THE DOOR — Pour some baking soda into each of the toilets and the sink drains – no one wants to smell stagnant water.
- Water plants
- Unplug toaster, mixer, computer, TV and other appliances.
- Turn down heat (not off! Or your pipes will freeze!), and or turn up air conditioning.
- Take out all garbage
- Make sure there are no wet clothes in washer or dryer – or wet rags in the sink or bathroom. Hang to dry.
- Shut off the water — and make sure the dishwasher is not full of dirty dishes.
You May Also Like...
When He Was Master of His Universe
Oh. My. I was innocently scanning through photos, looking for something specific, and I stumbled ...read more
One Glorious Sunflower
Out of all the seemingly hundreds of sunflower seeds I planted, came this one, glorious sunflower. ...read more
Your Official Guide to the Country Living Fair in Columbus
It's just a few days away. More than 25,000 visitors from all over the country ...read more
The Best, Easiest Way Yet to Hang Posters and Engineer's Prints
This one is my favorite picture -- his lips caught forever, frozen in that curled ...read more